Congratulations, you have conceived! Now you will begin on a short and sweet path to getting your body for delivery.
Being pregnant does not mean you have the license to eat as you wish. Nor is it an excuse to skip exercise entirely. When you’re pregnant it’s all about giving the best to your growing fetus and ensuring you are physically prepared for delivery and have the basic building blocks for recovery.
Why exercise during pregnancy is good for you
Helps reduce backaches, constipation, bloating, and swelling
May help prevent, or treat, gestational diabetes
Increases your energy
Improves your mood
Improves your posture
Promotes muscle tone, strength, and endurance
Helps you sleep better
Regular activity also helps keep you fit during pregnancy and may improve your ability to cope with labor. This will make it easier for you to get back in shape after your baby is born.
Pilates strengthens your tummy, back and pelvic floor muscles without straining other joints, so it’s a great exercise to do when you’re pregnant.
Check that your Pilates instructor is experienced and trained in teaching pregnant women, and try to choose a Pilates class that’s for pregnant women.
The main benefit of Pilates is that it targets the exact muscles and functions that can be a problem during pregnancy and after birth, in a safe way.
• Strengthen your tummy muscles, which equips your body better to cope with the strains caused by the weight of your growing baby. Hormones make the tissues (ligaments) that connect your bones more pliable in pregnancy, making you more prone to injury.
• Reduces back pain, by exercising the deepest tummy muscles that stabilise your back and pelvis. Weak muscles can lead to back or pelvic pain.
• Strengthen your pelvic floor, which will help to support your bowel, bladder and uterus (womb) as your baby grows and moves down. This may prevent you from leaking small amounts of wee when you cough or sneeze.
• Helps with balance, as you may feel a little more clumsy, or that your balance isn’t as good as usual, in pregnancy. Pilates exercises strengthen your core and may make you more stable when you walk as your bump grows.
• Takes the strain off your back and pelvis, by using positions such as going on your hands and knees, which is a great position for pregnancy. Towards the end of your pregnancy, it may also help to get your baby into the right position for birth.
• Relax and control your breathing, which is important for pregnancy and labour.
They are an independent support program on motherhood for women and couples in Shanghai providing a holistic approach to improve the perinatal experience.
Offer: Prenatal & postnatal yoga and Pilates including workshops on pre and postnatal experience
WeChat: Jeyadancepilates (pilates)/Doing-good (yoga)
Address: SOHO Tianshan, 1737 Tianshan Rd, T3-220
Tel: 21 6226 0500
Address: Songlin Rd, Lane 97, No. 3
Tel: 21 5407 9255
Address: 5F. No. 118 Qinghai Lu
Tel: 21 6218 6236
Pilates ProWorks (with Modification)
Address: 1003 Wuding Lu
Tel: 21 6225 3966
(classes by Lisa, Teresa, Gloria)
Benefits of yoga
Increased strength, flexibility and endurance
Decreased lower back pain
Decreased carpal tunnel syndrome
Reduced risk of preterm labor
Lowered risk of intrauterine growth restriction (condition that slows the baby’s growth)
In addition to the benefits listed, studies have found there is a relationship between prenatal yoga and the reduction of hypertension-related complications, as well as, improvement of fetal outcome.
A wellness space offering a support network for would-be moms and new mothers alike, including memorable experiences to enjoy the process of motherhood
Offer: Prenatal & postnatal yoga and workshops on pre and postnatal experience
Address: 516 Julu Rd, No. 5
International Boutique Medical practice and wellness center that focuses on sports medicine, physical therapy and pre/post-surgery rehabilitation concierge center. Their Women’s Health and Pediatric Clinical Care Department
offers resources for women who are pregnant or, recovering from pregnancy.
Offer: Prenatal yoga, postnatal barre, Pilates, Prenatal Fitness, HIIT
Other Offer: Osteopathy, physical therapy, functional nutrition
Address: 118 Jiashan Lu, Building B, 5th Floor, Suite A501
WeChat ID: tc_theclinic
Customer service hotline: 021 3368 8801
Baijia Maternity Hospital
Baijia Maternity Hospital provides a spectrum of support for women who are pregnant. From counselling to physical therapy, they even host a class called “Bumpercise” to mantain your fitness level for a happier and healthier pregnancy
Benefits of swimming
Swimming is a gentle way to work toward your goal of 30 minutes of prenatal exercise a day without aggravating your loosening joints. Swimming during pregnancy can also help:
Relieve ankle and foot swelling: Submersing your limbs in water helps push fluids from your tissues back into your veins and also boosts your circulation, which keeps blood from pooling in the lower limbs.
Ease sciatic pain: Baby’s floating right along with you (instead of pressing down on your sciatic nerve).
Reduce morning sickness: Many women report that the cool water provides welcome relief from nausea.
Keep you cool: It’s a hard thing to do when those pregnant sweat glands are on overdrive — but a dip in a cool pool can help, especially when the temperatures soar outside.
Improve your labor and delivery experience: Swimming maintains muscle tone and increases your endurance — both of which you’ll be thankful for when it comes time to push baby out.
Mommy Bow offers prenatal postnatal aqua classes for expectant moms and moms. They have classes all over Shanghai, to join add their WeChat.
Offer: Aqua class (pre and postnatal)